Chatral Sangye Dorje
From Rigpa Wiki
Kyabjé Chatral Rinpoche, Sangye Dorje (Tib. བྱ་བྲལ་སངས་རྒྱས་རྡོ་རྗེ་, Wyl. bya bral sangs rgyas rdo rje) (b.1913) — a renowned Dzogchen master in his mid-90s, Chatral Rinpoche is a reclusive yogi known for his great realization and strict discipline. Rinpoche is one of the few living disciples of the great master Khenpo Ngakchung and widely regarded as one of the most highly realized Dzogchen yogis. In addition to his relationship with Khenpo Ngakchung, Chatral Rinpoche also studied with some of the last century's most renowned masters, including Dudjom Rinpoche, Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö, and the famed dakini, Sera Khandro. Rinpoche is one of the primary lineage holders of the Longchen Nyingtik, and in particular the lineage that descends through Jigme Lingpa's heart son Jikmé Gyalwé Nyugu and then on to Patrul Rinpoche.
Though his main lineage is the Longchen Nyingtik, Chatral Rinpoche is also closely associated with the Dudjom Tersar lineage. He was empowered as the regent of Kyabjé Dudjom Rinpoche and is currently passing on this lineage to this master's reincarnation, who lives primarily in central Tibet.
Chatral Rinpoche has shunned institutional and political involvement his whole life, choosing instead to live the life of a wandering yogi. To this day, despite his great age, he continues to move about, rarely remaining in one place for more than a few months. A lay yogi, he is also greatly concerned with maintaining strict discipline in the context of the Dzogchen view. He is especially well known for his advocacy of vegetarianism and his yearly practice of ransoming the lives of thousands of animals in India. In addition to his emphasis on the union of view and conduct, Rinpoche also stresses the practice of retreat. He has established numerous retreat centers throughout the Himalayas, including in Pharping, Yolmo and Darjeeling.
Rinpoche currently divides his time between Salbhari, India, and Kathmandu, Nepal. He has two daughters, Tara Devi and Saraswati, with his wife Kamala.
- དཔལ་ཡང་ལེ་ཤོད་རིག་འཛིན་གྲུབ་པའི་དགའ་ཚལ་གྱི་སྒྲུབ་སྡེའི་བཅའ་ཡིག་སྡོམ་གསུམ་མཛེས་རྒྱན་, dpal yang le shod rig 'dzin grub pa'i dga' tshal gyi sgrub sde'i bca' yig sdom gsum mdzes rgyan
- ཛེ་སྨད་གཡོ་རྫུན་ཀླན་ཀའི་ལན་ལུང་རིགས་རྡོ་རྗེའི་མེ་ཆར་, dze smad g.yo rdzun klan ka'i lan lung rigs rdo rje'i me char
- Chatral Rinpoche, Compassionate Action, edited, introduced and annotated by Zachary Larson (Ithaca, NY: Snow Lion Publications, 2007).
- Chatral Rinpoche, Compassionate Action: the Teachings of Chatral Rinpoche, edited with commentary by Zachary Larson (Kathmandu: Shechen Publications, 2005).
- Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche, Blazing Splendor: The Memoirs of Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche (Boudhanath, Hong Kong, Esby: Rangjung Yeshe Publications, 2005), pages 304-305.
- A wonderful translated biography of Chatral Rinpoche's life story (rnam thar)
- Dudjomba -- biography, teachings and lineage transmission of Chatral Rinpoche
- Chatral Rinpoche Series on Lotsawa House
- Chatral Rinpoche on vegetarianism and the benefits of saving lives | links to articles in PDF
- The Benefits of Building a Stupa, Offering Prostrations, Presenting Offerings, Circumambulating It, and Making Aspirations, by Chatral Sangye Dorje Rinpoche
- TBRC Profile