Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche
Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche (b.1964) — the present Dzigar Kongtrul, Jigme Namgyel (འཛི་སྒར་ཀོང་སྤྲུལ་འཇིགས་མེད་རྣམ་རྒྱལ་, Wyl. 'dzi sgar kong sprul 'jigs med rnam rgyal), was born in Northern India, shortly before the Tibetan community settlement at Bir was established by his father, the third Neten Chokling Rinpoche. When Rinpoche was just nine years old, his father passed away. Soon after this His Holiness Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche recognized him as an emanation of Jamgön Kongtrul the Great and His Holiness the 16th Karmapa confirmed this. He was soon enthroned at Chokling Gompa in Bir.
Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche grew up in a monastic environment and received extensive training in all aspects of Buddhist doctrine. In particular, he received the teachings of the Nyingma lineage, especially those of the Longchen Nyingtik, from his root teacher, His Holiness Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche. Rinpoche also studied extensively under Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche, Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche, and the great scholar Khenpo Rinchen.
Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche then moved to the United States in 1989 with his family and began a five-year tenure as a professor of Buddhist philosophy at Naropa University (then Institute) in 1990. Not long after arriving in the United States, he founded Mangala Shri Bhuti, an organization dedicated to furthering the practice of the Longchen Nyingtik lineage. He established a mountain retreat centre, Longchen Jigme Samten Ling, in southern Colorado, where he spends much of his time in retreat and guides students in long-term retreat practice.
Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche's students include Pema Chödrön, the best-selling buddhist author, his wife Elizabeth Mattis-Namgyel, and his son Dungse Jampal Namgyel. He is also an avid painter in the abstract expressionist tradition.
- It's Up to You: The Practice of Self-Reflection on the Buddhist Path (Boston: Shambhala Publications, 2005). Sogyal Rinpoche said of this book: "An enthralling and practical book that speaks to us all with an exceptional clarity about confusion, uncertainty, and fear, about fearlessness and courage, and about awareness, joy, sanity, and freedom. A book which I cannot recommend highly enough."
- Light Comes Through: Buddhist Teachings on Awakening to our Natural Intelligence (Boston: Shambhala Publications, 2008)
- Uncommon Happiness, The Path of the Compassionate Warrior (Boudhanath, Hong Kong & Esby: Rangjung Yeshe Publications, 2009)
- The Intelligent Heart—A Guide to the Compassionate Life (Boston: Shambhala, 2016)
- Training in Tenderness: Buddhist Teachings on Tsewa, the Radical Openness of Heart That Can Change the World (Boston: Shambhala, 2018)
Teachings Given to the Rigpa Sangha
- The Thirty-Seven Practices of a Bodhisattva, Rigpa London, 20-22 June 1997
- Shamatha and Vipashyana, Rigpa Amsterdam, 23-25 May 1997
- Chapter Nine of the Bodhicharyavatara, Lerab Ling, 2-17 June 2001
- Uttaratantra Shastra, Rigpa Shedra, Lerab Ling, 2002
- Abhisamayalankara, Rigpa Shedra, Dzogchen Beara, 2003
- Seven Points of Mind Training based on Changchub Shunglam, the commentary by Jamgön Kongtrul Lodrö Tayé, Lerab Ling, 23-27 July 2006
- Staircase to Akanishtha by Jikmé Lingpa, Lerab Ling, 21-25 August 2007
- Heart Treasure of the Saints by Patrul Rinpoche, Lerab Ling, 16-19 August 2008
- Commentary on Bodhichitta by Nagarjuna, Lerab Ling, 12-15 August 2009
- The Heart Sutra, using a commentary by Taranatha, Lerab Ling, 8-10 June 2010
- The Wheel Blade of Mind Transformation by Dharmarakshita, Lerab Ling, 12-14 July 2011
- The Great Path of Awakening—teachings on the Seven Points of Mind Training, Dzogchen Beara, 22-24 July 2011
- The Intermediate Stages of Meditation by Kamalashila, Lerab Ling, 21-23 July 2012
- The future of the Dharma in the West, Lerab Ling, 24 June 2016
- The Intelligent Heart—A Guide to the Compassionate Life, Lerab Ling, 25-26 June 2016
- The Words of My Perfect Teacher, Dzogchen Beara, July 2017
- View: The Rigpa Journal, July 2010, 'Very Little Needs and Much Contentment'—A Teaching for Troubled Times, and 'A Friend and Guide to the Sangha'
- Summary of Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche's teachings on Bodhicharyavatara in Lerab Ling, 2001
- Prayer for the Long Life of Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche
- Kongtrul Incarnation Line