Seven Point Training in Cause and Effect
Seven point pith instruction for generating bodhichitta related to its cause and effect (Tib. རྒྱུ་འབྲས་མན་ངག་བདུན་, Wyl. rgyu 'bras man ngag bdun) — the way of generating bodhichitta as taught by Atisha, which has the following seven points:
- recognizing beings as our past mothers
- remembering the kindness of beings
- a sense of gratitude for the kindness
- love, wishing beings have happiness
- responsibility (Tib. lhaksam)
The first six points relate to the causes of bodhichitta, and the last one is the result, bodhichitta itself.
- The seven-point causal sequence giving birth to the attitude of bodhichitta (Padmakara)
- Seven-Part Cause and Effect Quintessence Teaching for Developing Bodhichitta (Alexander Berzin)
- Kangyur Rinpoche, Treasury of Precious Qualities (Boston & London: Shambhala, 2001), pages 276-278.